This blog is hosted on a [Site5](http://www.site5.com/) server, and earlier today suffered a major outage when the shared host it sits on had a severe hardware problem.
Thankfully, that problem was rectified with the technical team’s usual good speed. Everybody’s home directories had to be restored from an earlier backup, but this blog is so low usage these days that it wasn’t really affected.
The only that troubled me was that, as soon as it was back online, my [Mint](http://haveamint.com/) installation, which collates web statistics locally, was failing to register any page impressions. I also have web bugs installed for [Sitemeter](http://www.sitemeter.com) and [Google Analytics](http://www.google.com/analytics) — yes, three is overkill for a small blog, but it helps me field test changes on a site that doesn’t matter before I do anything too meddlesome on commercial sites that do — but those were still picking up page impressions.
Safari’s useful (but often ignored) Activity window showed that Mint’s web bug was returning a response of ‘unacceptable’ — double-clicking the request’s line in the Activity window passed me through to a standard window showing that the full response was a `406 Not Acceptable` error.
A quick google, and I found [this thread on the Mint forums](http://haveamint.com/forum/troubleshooting/76/dwindling_stat_issue), which provided the solution of adding the following lines to the Mint directory’s `.htaccess` file:
which did the trick.
I’m not sure why I need that fix now, when before the failure I didn’t, but I’m at least relieved I found it. And I’m mainly blogging here to increase the chances of anybody suffering the same fate easily finding the same fix.